Friday, July 19, 2013

My trip to wonderful Amsterdam

I just returned from an amazing trip to beautiful Amsterdam in the Netherlands. What a great city! And such kind people!

And, of course, a very beautiful place:


I could just stroll along the beautiful canals all day.


And watch the cute little houses along the waterline.

I could also eat their yummy cakes all day. I had the most delicious creme filled lemon mousse crunchy creamy cake at the wonderful Chocolaterie Pompadour.

Yum!

We also had some amazing food including the delicious rijsttafel or 'rice table', which is a Dutch Indonesian specialty. So yummy!


The Indrapura restaurant we visited is located on the Rembrandt Square in the heart of the city and it has an amazing rijsttafel. I highly recommend visiting this place!

Of course, I had to visit Amsterdam's local yarn store!


The Penelope Craft shop is definitely worth a visit! Such a cute, little shop with yarn from floor to ceiling. And so much to choose from! They had an amazing selection of Malabrigo, Madelinetosh and Cascade Yarns. They even stocked the Icelandic brand Lopi and a couple of Danish brands, too!

I ended up buying this skein of beautiful Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light in the beautiful Oxblood colorway:


I could have just stayed there all day. I definitely recommend this place! Such a cute little shop with a kind staff and just that right Amsterdam feel to it.

Famous knitwear designer Stephen West, who lives in Amsterdam, had even been by their shop and signed some of their stuff!

You must pay a visit to this little shop if you're visiting Amsterdam.


It's very centrally located on Kerkstraat 117, just a small walk from the delicious Chocolaterie Pompadour on Kerkstraat 148.

Oh, and as a craft shop located in the city of bicycles, the Penelope Craft shop had their own beautifully crocheted bike standing just outside their store:


So cool!

I hope you've enjoyed reading about my trip to Amsterdam, and maybe even had some tips and ideas if you're ever planning on going to this beautiful European capital.

Also, if you, like me, are crazy about books, you must visit the Spui Square, which offers no less than three huge bookstores, including The American Book Center and Waterstones, first of which has no less than three floors of books from floor to ceiling, and they're all in American. So great!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm just loving the yarn store! I WISH we had something like that nearby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! It's just not the same, browsing on the internet. I love how you can feel and compare the different fibers and see how each of them is knitted up with little samples hanging beside the skeins. Sadly, we don't have similar yarn stores here, either.

      Delete
  2. Nice photos :)) I love Amsterdam........... i have to visit this yarn store aswell i never ben there looks realle greate

    ReplyDelete